POSITION CLOSED!! We are no longer accepting applications. Thank you for your interest.
“Rising From Poverty” Outreach Coordinator
Date: December 19, 2019
Position Title: Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Lynn Buske, Project Lead
Type of Position: Part-Time 14-18 hours, salaried $1,000/month, temporary January 2020-May 2021
JONAH is looking for a strong, passionate candidate to be an Outreach Coordinator for their project called “Rising From Poverty”. In this part-time position, .4 FTE, the person will connect with people who have experienced barriers to housing, build relationships with persons working in the field, collaborate on a policy initiative, and work with our Organizers to coordinate leadership training.
In response to the housing crisis in Eau Claire, JONAH is working with Community Catalyst (CC), a national health advocacy organization, to organize people experiencing barriers to safe and affordable permanent housing, and to support them in taking the necessary steps to implement a local policy change that will help eliminate those barriers. Many of the people we seek to engage will be people who have experienced incarceration and felony convictions which cause unique barriers to housing. Chippewa Valley EXPO Chapter is the co-leader of this initiative. Other barriers may include eviction histories, language, immigration status, and credit/income. Because housing can have major impacts on people’s health, the project also seeks to build collaborative relationships with local health institutions to address this housing crisis.
The Outreach Coordinator’s primary role will be to meet with people on a one-by-one basis to hear their stories and empower them to use their voice on this issue. Under the supervision of the Organizers in JONAH and EXPO, the coordinator will connect people experiencing barriers with experts to determine a policy change and implement the needed steps to make that policy change. The Outreach Coordinator will receive leadership training from Gamaliel, and a training on Social Determinants of Health from CC.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Attend bi-weekly project team meeting.
- Attend monthly staff meetings in Madison with JONAH and EXPO Organizers.
- Recruit and meet with people with housing barriers – with a goal of 5 one-to-one meetings a week.
- Receive leadership training 1) locally from Organizers; 2) attend a weeklong Gamaliel training; 3) participate in a Social Determinants of Health training co-developed with Organizers and Community Catalyst.
- Build relationships with health system and health department leaders – with a goal of monthly, regularly scheduled one-to-ones with 5 key contacts.
- Attend EXPO meetings monthly.
- Attend JONAH Task Force meetings as necessary.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will be:
- Passionate about housing and have personal experience around living with low income with an understanding of the populations experiencing housing barriers (especially those coming out of the justice system).
- Willing to seek an understanding of how different experiences intersect in our community (including, but not limited to low income, incarceration, disability, trauma, language ability, immigration status, having young children or being a single parent).
- Adaptable to working with a variety of stakeholders (including, but not limited to JONAH volunteers, public health agencies and health care institutions, and the impacted community).
- Effective interpersonal skill: friendly, someone who enjoys talking with people, and is an active listener.
- A self-starter – much of the work will be self-directed and independent.
- Knowledge of Google drive, or willingness to learn.
- Peer support trained.
- Understanding and/or interest in public policy or community advocacy work.
- Record keeping of expenses.
- Ability to navigate own transportation needs, though there is some support from the grant to cover costs.
- Speaks some Spanish or Hmong language.
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Outreach Coordinator Application” by January 15.
Questions can be emailed to that same address or you can call 715-497-8732.
WISDOM, dba JONAH ,does not discriminate in hiring based on age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, socio-economic status, family status, mental and physical disabilities, veteran status, gender identity characteristics and/or expression, sex, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other classification that is protected by federal, state, or local law.