2021 WI State Budget – Impact on Justice Issues – ACTION PAGE
Every two years the state government strategizes how to use their funds for the following two years. 2021 is one of those years (deciding on funds for WI in 2022-2023). During that process residents in WI have the ability to impact those decisions by communicating their concerns. This is a powerful way to impact justice issues – as often times it is simply properly allocated funds that could end an issue.
Get To Know the Budget
Here is a link to the current draft budget as proposed by Governor Evers. This is the Budget in Brief, which is easier to read and searchable for your issue concerns.
We urgently need your help! Below is how you can get involved!
- Contact the Joint Finance Committee (JFC): the JFC are the members of WI state senate and assembly who are appointed to make decisions on Governor Ever’s proposed budget. In spring they seek community input. These are normally done in person, and they are doing them in person again! Due to the pandemic, JONAH urges you to CALL or EMAIL the members of the JFC by April 1! Here is a document with all their contact information. Below is a template you can follow for drafting your letter (please stick to one page, include your name and address). Also below are links to talking points you can use based on the issue.
- Write letters to your legislator! JONAH has made appointments with 14 legislators in the area: Armstrong, Bernier, Bewley, Edming, Emerson, James, Moses, Pronschinske, Petrowski, Petryk, Smith, Stafsholt, Summerfield, and Zimmerman.
And we would like your voice included as well, especially if you reside in those areas. On April 15 WISDOM will be handing a (hopefully) enormous stack of personal letters to our legislators on our issues.
We ask you to write a letter and submit it in any format to our organizer Lynn Buske by April 1 – email@example.com. Below is a template you can follow for drafting your letter (please stick to one page, include your name and address). Also below are links to talking points you can use based on the issue.
- Join Us for Madison Action Day! Join, virtually, people from all over Wisconsin and WISDOM who care about social justice. In the morning there is a plenary gathering where you can hear from speakers on all our issues. Register here: https://secure.everyaction.com/o11Ai73fr0O3ebFiL8pEyQ2
Documents That May Be Helpful:
2. Draft talking points on issues with direct budget asks
(final versions will be released in WISDOM Booklet soon) – contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions on content.
4. WI Joint Finance Committee 2021 Contacts – you can contact any legislator in WI if it is a budget issue, not just your own representatives!